Quote of the Week



Today we may say aloud before an awe-struck world: "We are still masters of our fate. We are still captain of our souls."

Friday, January 18, 2008

Reaching Across the Aisle - Why Rush Limbaugh is Just Flat Out WRONG!

Have you ever had those moments of temporary insanity? Well, I had one yesterday as I was driving in my car and turned on Limbaugh's program. Honestly, I used to be an avid - almost rabid - dittohead; however, as I have grown older, and I hope wiser, things have changed. I no longer view most issues that affect our country in the same immutable terms.

Yesterday was an example of Rush at his most vitriolic. There he was explaining why the "republican base" would never accept a candidate who embraces the "issues of the left". What exactly were those "issues of the left" in the world according to Rush? Well, global climate change, health care and legislation promoting greater fuel economy - to name a few.

Our country is just too polarized for any candidate of any party to speak only their base. Whatever candidate finally is elected in this cycle will need to have a broad appeal in order to start healing our country. We need to come together and decide that we are Americans first and whatever party affiliations any of us may have can only come in a distant second to the love and loyalty that our country should and MUST command.

Rush says that if any Republican candidate works too hard to appeal to the independents or moderates, that they simply will not get the support of the base. The same, in his opinion, can be said of Democrats. I disagree. I believe that whatever the case, both parties will support their candidates and this election will be decided by the chimeras - the undecided voters.

These so-called "liberal issues" of global climate change, health care and greater fuel economy ( and eventually independence from foreign oil) aren't just liberal issues. They are issues that face every single person in this country. Global climate change is happening. Whether mankind is contributing to the change or not is irrelevant. We are stewards - not owners - of this planet. It's up to us to care for it, and all the other creatures that call this planet home. Now, I'm not a tree hugger that embraces irresponsible environmental policies that are detrimental to our country. I am, however, a responsible American who believes that I should leave this world a better place, not the worse for wear.

As for health care, shouldn't the richest country on the Earth have some viable options to provide health care for all it's citizens? I am not suggesting, nor do I advocate a universal health care system. However, I do support making health care affordable for every American, and I think that we can do that, and further, that we should.

As for fuel economy and independence on foreign oil, if any American doesn't understand why this is of vital importance for our national security, then that is just beyond me. A portion of every dollar we spend at the pump, lines our enemies pockets and enables them to challenge us on the world stage. We simply must, for the security of our nation, get to a point where we can finally say, "We don't care if you drink the oil, we don't need it!" That's a dream for a day that this American looks forward to longingly....

So what do you think? Did Rush get it right? Will each party only embrace those that embrace the most rabid in their party? Or do you think that it's time for our country to finally try to come together?

2 comments:

SkeinGoddess said...

I think rush limbaugh is a troll. But that is beside the point. I Agree that we need some one moderate, who can think outside of the party box. Unfortunatly I don't really see that in ANY of the candidates we have right now. I see more of a less severe left or right, but not a true moderate. Who I'm looking for is someone with common sense, and compassion for everyones rights, who can make decisions both after deep consideration and if need be on a dime. Not just an impulsive jump the gunner.right now it's kinda like the episode of Southpark:vote for the douche or poo sandwich.

Sandy said...

Here's my problem - who gets the nomination for either party is highly dependent upon the far extremes of either party. The conservative right will go to the primaries while the more moderate-to-independent registered Republicans don't both or don't show up in numbers to make a difference. On the other side, ardent, far-left libs will be selecting their candidate. The middle folks? They either don't do primaries because they're not aligning with a party OR by the time their primary roles around the middle guy's dropped out of the race.

I do think Rush is right in that regard - the PARTY is unlikely to pick a candidate that reflects a true centerist position because the party can't stomach the idea of giving up some issues for the interest of putting up a viable candidate. They think themselves too principled to compromise.

Personally, I started this process backing Guliani who is conservative in terms of fiscal and national defense issues but tends to be socially moderate to liberal. He better reflects my own positions. Of course by the time my primary roles around he'll likely be out of the race and I'll be left with three top canidates that fail to excite me.

In November, I have a feeling, I'll be voting *against* someone more than I'll be voting *for* someone. It's sad